Standardized Tests, Part 1: Entrance Exams? We’ll Pick Up the Tab!
Ask anyone: Tests are stressful. When you’re a kid, just the word “test” can make you start sweating and fidgeting. When you’re an adult, it’s even worse – in addition to the stress of the test itself, you also have to worry about paying for it.
But what if you didn’t have to pay?
The DANTES team is committed to helping you define your future. Since furthering your education is one of the best ways to invest in your success, we’ll do everything we can to make that possible. Our programs will help pay for important testing, taking the financial burden off you and enhancing the education benefits you’ve earned. When you’re ready to take the tests, we’re ready to pick up the tab.
Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3…
DANTES offers a wide range of programs to help you reach your educational goals; this three-part overview will familiarize you with your options. First, you need to begin at the beginning: Certain exams are necessary for you to be admitted to college. Here’s a quick rundown:
- GED®: If you’re a Service member who needs to finish your high-school education, you’re eligible to take the GED test, funded through DANTES. Before scheduling a GED exam, contact the DANTES Test Control Officer (TCO) at your local military education center. You can get all the information you need, and the TCO can help with online registration, exam scheduling, providing the DANTES-sponsored voucher code (to be redeemed for payment of computer-based GED PRIOR to test administration) and locating your nearest official GED testing center.We can also help you prepare for the GED!
- ACT® and SAT®: The ACT gauges general educational development and measures your performance on college-level tasks; the SAT measures verbal and mathematical abilities. Most colleges require at least one of these tests for admission. If you already have your high-school diploma or GED, you’ll need to take one of these tests before applying to a college or university program. Active-duty and reserve Service members can receive one funded administration of either the ACT or SAT during their career. Tests must be taken at a DANTES-sponsored test site. Both exams are administered on military installations by DANTES TCOs.
Pro Tip: Before taking any exams, talk to an academic adviser at your college of choice to verify which tests they’ll accept and what their score requirements are. It’s always easier to hit the target when you know where to aim.
Remember, in addition to covering the cost of exams, we’re also ready with resources to help you ace them!
If you ask us, you’ve already passed the most important test of all: You stepped up to serve your country. You deserve every benefit that commitment has earned you. We’re honored to help you take your next steps forward, including paying for the tests that will help take you from where you are to where you want to be.
Let’s define your future together. If you’re ready to get started, head over to the DANTES website for information on all of our programs and resources.
Nancy Hamilton, DANTES Editor
For valuable education resources, check out the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) website http://www.dantes.doded.mil.
Latest posts by Michelle Alexander (see all)
- Looking for a better grade? DoD’s Tutoring Services can help - December 27, 2016
- Why is Credentialing Important? - November 21, 2016
- Certificate Programs that Leverage your Military Training - November 16, 2016